How It Came To Be: End of an Era, Part 1
An era has ended in my world. More than 10 years ago, I made this logo for Southeast. Now we're changing it.
One of my very first projects, on staff and even as a young designer, the logo was nearly a fiasco with leaders peeking over my shoulder and picking off my idea page. I worked hard to turn it into something I'd be able to look at regularly. I sort of stumbled into the final product which came out unique.
I had beveled out this pointy, swooping cross over the top of the lettering in Photoshop, then moved back to Illustrator to trace it out. When Live Trace caught only the shaded portion of the cross, I stopped. The weight finally worked, and the look was unique.
That's what I presented, and that's what was approved, and that's what we were stuck with for the next decade. While not one of the worst logos I've seen (or done), the Southeast logo has been really difficult to work with.
Without a clear shape, and balance, it's hard to line up in layouts. The type choice, Eras, while being a standard Windows font, was difficult to match for printers. Like I said before, I was a really new designer with talent, but minimal professional training.
A few years ago I put the thing in a box to try and make it easier to work with. It still didn't play all that nicely, and as the church evolved, it fit who we were becoming less and less.
With so much going on, and another major project looming, it just kept getting pushed to the back burner.